9:25:00 PM
2
As we get ready now, only a few weeks away from getting our seedlings in the ground, I craved the taste of a great salsa, home made, that has that combination of heat and sweet from fresh tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, and chilis. I went to the local produce market that carries items from farmers in the tri counties and spied some great looking Tomatillos. They had some Romas also that were really ripe and juicy.  Now in the past I have made a green Tomatillo salsa but my hubby didn't like how acidic and bitter the green ones tasted. I decided to remake the recipe with a combination of both red and green for a two tomato salsa.

To-Mater Salsa

6 cups tomatillos, chopped
2 cups red onions, chopped
1 jalapeno peppers, seeded, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 dried pasillo chili, reconstituted, diced
1 1/2 cup diced roma tomatoes, juice and seeds included
6 T. sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper


Combine all ingredients in a large pot & stir frequently over high heat until mixture boils.
Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
Ladle into pint jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
Adjust lids, process in a hot water bath for 20 minutes.

This salsa is a great combination of the sweet and heat. My hubby was right next to me at the stove taste testing as the flavors developed while it simmered. Needless to say some of this recipe never made it into a jar.  I am sure that the two pints and 3 half pints I put up will be gone in no time!

Popular Posts

FACEBOOK LINK

Shoot me an Email!

Name

Email *

Message *

Shop Now

Canning Accessories

Pressure Canners