3:46:00 PM
3
I try really hard to make sure there are pictures with every recipe, but sometimes I find that there are recipes that many of you want to see but I don't think that I would ever use in my pantry. I don't want to exclude anything especially since there are so many people out there with huge gardens or just in need of particular types of recipes. I am finding that peppers are coming in for many people and I had posted a recipe for pickled peppers. Since I don't grow them I wanted to at least share a safe recipe. Thanks to Lacie on my Facebook site I now have a fantastic picture to go with the recipe. She did a great job on the peppers and the picture is beautiful.

Pickled hot peppers

Lacie's Pickled Banana Peppers!
4 lbs Hungarian, banana, chile, or jalapeno peppers
3 lbs sweet red and green peppers mixed
5 cups vinegar 5% acidity
1 cup water
4 t. kosher salt (or pickling salt)
2 T. sugar
2 cloves garlic

Caution: wear rubber gloves and do not touch your face while handling or cutting hot peppers. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching your face.

Wash peppers. If small peppers are left whole, slash 2 to 4 slits in each. Quarter large peppers. Blanch in boiling water or blister skins on tough skinned hot peppers using one of these two methods:

Oven or broiler method - Place peppers in a hot oven (400 degrees F) or under the broiler for 6 to 8 minutes until skins are blister.

Range top method – Cover hot burner (either gas or electric) with heavy wire mesh. Place peppers on burner for several minutes until skins blister.

After blistering skins, place peppers in a pan and cover with a damp cloth. You can also put them in a zip loc bag or paper bag. Cool for several minutes, peel off skins. Flatten small peppers. Quarter large peppers. Fill hot jars with peppers, leaving ½ inch headspace. Combine and heat other ingredients to boiling and simmer 10 minutes. Remove garlic. Add hot pickling solution over peppers, leaving ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims, add hot lids/rings and process in water bath for 10 minutes at a full boil.

Popular Posts

FACEBOOK LINK

Shoot me an Email!

Name

Email *

Message *

Shop Now

Canning Accessories

Pressure Canners