8:37:00 AM
2
What is Chutney and would I like it? The definition of chutney is similar in consistency to jelly, salsa or relish, and is used as a sweet and sour condiment. Usually made fresh, chutney contains fruit and sugar to give it a sweet taste, and almost all chutney contains vinegar and perhaps onions to give it a corresponding sour flavor.

Sounds good? I wasn't completely convinced so I am making a Peach Chutney to have prepared for a pork loin or other dinner in the future. Here is the recipe I found that I thought the ingredients were paired well. I don't like currants or raisins so I substituted them with dried cranberries.  I found this recipe at Allrecipes.com as a Spicy Peach Chutney.

Peach Chutney
 Ingredients:
4 pounds sliced peeled peaches
1 cup raisins (I used dried cranberries)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped onion
5 ounces chopped preserved ginger (I used crystallized ginger)
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon curry powder (I omitted... i don't like curry)
4 cups packed brown sugar
4 cups apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup pickling spice

Directions:

1. In a large heavy pot, stir together the peaches, raisins, garlic, onion, preserved ginger, chili powder, mustard seed, curry powder, brown sugar and cider vinegar. Wrap the pickling spice in a cheesecloth bag, and place in the pot.

2. Bring to a boil, and cook over medium heat uncovered until the mixture reaches your desired consistency. It will take about 1 1/2 hours to get a good thick sauce. Stir frequently to prevent scorching on the bottom.

3. Remove the spice bag, and ladle into hot sterilized jars. Wipe the rims with a clean moist cloth. Leave 1/2 inch headspace. Seal with lids and rings, and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Popular Posts

FACEBOOK LINK

Shoot me an Email!

Name

Email *

Message *

Shop Now

Canning Accessories

Pressure Canners